Thursday, February 8, 2007

Macaroni and Cheese, Please


I love the bargain cheese bin at the grocery store. When various gourmet cheeses near their expiration, they are marked down over 50%, and I find myself defenseless against their cheesy, potentially poisonous charms. Recent scores include a lemon zest English Stilton and an aged Cheddar with stout and mustard seeds for cheap, cheap, cheap. (Cheaper then Velveeta, actually, so there's no excuse, people.) The downside: some of those use-by dates are close, so one must use or eat tout suite, baby.

So, finding myself with a rapidly expiring hunk of good Dutch Gouda, I decided on baked macaroni and cheese for dinner. After consulting
various sources for a lightened version, I gave up and hobbled together this:

Macaroni & Cheese with Caramelized Onions, Gouda, and & Peppers

Verdict: Quick, easy, and pretty good. Sweetness of the onions and peppers and spiciness of the cayenne cuts through the often coma-inducing richness of regular mac & cheese. Excellent as leftovers.

What I Might Do Differently: Less cayenne. Caused toddler to paw at her tongue and demand juice.

1 comment:

term papers writing service said...

I think the older Gouda cheese has a pungent underlying bitterness, yet is still considerably creamier and sometimes discernible by a black paraffin wax coating.