Thursday, August 30, 2007

"...And I Turned Out Just FINE."

I feel I speak for most parents of small children, particularly very new parents, when I attest to our deep love for any statement that is loosely structured, "Well, my parents always (blanked) and never (blanked), and I turned out just FINE." or "I always (blanked) and never (blanked) with our kids and they turned out FINE, didn't they?"

Sigh. Bonus points if the (blank) involves:
  • Seat belt/car seat usage

  • Alcohol consumption when pregnant/nursing

  • Breastfeeding

  • Formula

  • Something like whole yak milk instead of formula

  • Spanking

  • Pacifiers

  • Ferberizing

  • Circumcision

  • Yeti* (*actually triple bonus points)
I wish parents, as a whole, would just cut each other some collective slack. Rest assured that my decision to do or not do something with my kid has NOTHING to do with your parenting decisions, particularly those you might have made in the middle of the last century. I, quite literally, could not possibly care less. I'm kind of busy with my own thing, you see. I'm busy agonizing over sleeping and foreskins and fevers and potties and binkys and tantrums. But I'll figure it out, that I'm sure of.

And I know--I KNOW--that you're trying to help, but I suspect you're also trying to feel better about your own choices and maybe, just maybe, engage in a little old-fashioned passive aggression.

Three years into this gig, I know two things for sure:
  1. Different strokes for different folks and

  2. Never (ever, ever) say 'never.'

Oh, wait. One more:

3. Look out for yeti. They're triple bonus points.


1 comment:

My Crazy Beautiful Life said...

Amen, Sister!! I've always marched to the beat of a different drum with my kids and most people have finally laid off. I always tell new moms to put on good blinders and follow their instincts!
Love, Tanya