Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Aaaaaah, pouf it .....p-pouf it real good!*

*(A prize to the first one to correctly identify the title reference. Prize may/may not involve a giant garbage bag of used poufs air-mailed to your doorstep.)

Today, I'll be showing you some pictures of the very festive, very easy, and practically free tissue flowers a la Martha I made for my sister-in-law's wedding last month, and then linking to the instructions. See what I'm doing? I don't even have to type the directions out with my own ten, weary fingers. You can't run me into the ground, NaBloPoMo.

Martha's people call these Tissue Paper Pom-Poms, but I just call them The Poufs. Martha sells a lovely (but spendy) little kit at Michael's, but you can make your own (like I did) by following the simple instructions here. It's so simple that you can do it with your kids, if your kids can be trusted to use scissors and not ingest tissue scraps.

Regarding materials: Office Depot's website has really pretty tissue paper colors and free next-day delivery in some cities. I used chocolate brown, desert tan, pale pinks, and white. Since I couldn't find the white floral wire mandated by Frau Stewart, I used white pipe cleaners for light colors and green floral wire for the dark, and both turned out fine. You really can't see the center once you have achieved full pouf.

We kept them flat for transport to the reception, poufed them up after the rehearsal dinner, and then suspended them from the ceiling at different heights with fishing line.

They also looked pretty half-poufed and placed in the center of each table, surrounded by candles and flirting with disastrous immolation. The danger! The romance! Don't worry: just put some bridesmaids in charge of the fire extinguishers and enjoy the party.

I did enjoy making and using The Poufs, and I loved the way they looked in the warm glow of the reception, and I'm eager to make them again for a baby shower (all shades of pink! or blue! or green!) or birthday party or BBQ. But not that eager, so don't call me, I'll call you, OK?

5 comments:

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Very pretty. And I always love me some Salt N' Pepa references.

Melanie said...

BLC: Ding, ding, ding. You have won the prize AND my heart. Kindly forward your home address so this Hefty bag of crushed tissue poufs can be yours, all yours.

Lisa Milton said...

Sicky here missed my poufy guess.

{I might have to make some of these myself.}

Nora Bee said...

Oh, you write, and you are crafty, too? Another reason to plot and scheme to get you to come to Seattle for a cup of tea. (Not because I'm crafty, I'm not, but I like to bask in the light of a crafty person to make me look good)

Melanie said...

Nora: I am not crafty in the least. I don't even like craft stores. I don't even like the word "craft" and all it's variants.

I prefer "project" because then I get to be a "project manager." Not that I'm good at management, either.