Sunday, November 4, 2007

An Argument for Setting the Bar Low

So, it's pretty much Christmastime, isn't it?

That's what I'm telling myself, at any rate. If I don't, I'll be lulled into a false sense of security, slack off, eat loads of pumpkin-themed baked goods, and wake up soiling myself on December 5th because when did it get to be December?

My main objective for the month of November (other then filling up this space DAILY with words, sentence fragments and poorly placed punctuation) is embarking on Operation Family Christmas Card: Aught Ideas for Aught Seven. Designing Christmas cards is my one big, Herculean effort for the holidays. I don't marathon bake. I don't buy lots of gifts and therefore do not engage in death-march shopping. I don't have to host any Christmas dinners. So the cards, the cards I must do. And I must do them well, because I am anal and picky about graphic design and generally maladjusted.

Honestly, though, I love doing them. I love that simple, old-fashioned gesture of a card you wrote and put together with your own hands, slapped a stamp on, and dropped in the mail. Who doesn't love to get cards? Jackasses, that's who.

Here is the card from two years ago: it was a big hit, but I think I peaked too soon and blew my proverbial wad. Last year was kind of a struggle. James was brand new and easy to pose, but Ellie was in constant, buzzing motion and I had my crappy old camera. Some article about taking holiday card pictures with small children suggested telling your older child to whisper into Baby's ear what you'd like Santa to bring. I whipped that out on Ellie and ended up with this:


Oy. I have no ideas. Kindly send ideas, inspiration, or, at the very least, pumpkin-themed baked goods. And kindly refrain from licking the baby. That's MY job.

.

2 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

First off, when I look at your son, he looks seriously concerned that something not so good is about to go down...I even see a low level of confused terror. It's like he's looking at you and mentally channeling "are you really going to let her do this?"

And she, she just looks all I wonder what he tastes like. I'll just lick him.

Great photo. Here's an idea we loved when mine were younger. We took their handprints and turned them into odd little christmas trees. Just think on this until you get the visual.

Anonymous said...

One of my all time favorites. I have it on my desk at work. Kam