Thursday, November 8, 2007

Brothers and Sisters


I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at. ~Maya Angelou

Ellie and James have been working awfully hard at ruining one another's lives the last few days. And, together, they have been wearing my nerves into raw, electric sores. They are only about 24 months apart, and I read somewhere this proximity will likely result in a relatively intense relationship; they will both love and hate each other with great gusto.

Lately, when they try to play together, the activity generally devolves into toys getting knocked over, light strangulation, and copious weeping. A social 1-year-old an anally-retentive 3-year-old make pretty crappy playmates.

Surely this will get better. And surely there will be a sweet spot before we hit door slamming, name calling, and Greco-Roman wrestling.
.

4 comments:

sassy said...

I wouldn't sweat it. My brother and I used to beat each otherr to a bloody pulp, and today he's my best friend.

Not that you should encourage your kids to beat each other up or anything...

Mrs. G. said...

Oh siblings and their light strangulation. There are not enough people coming over here and reading your funny words. I really like the photo. Look, she aready has his back.

Melanie said...

sassy: I, too, did my fair share of little brother beating. What goes around, comes around, I guess.

Mrs. G: Thanks. I'm changing my tag-line to: "The best blog you're not reading. Or, more accurately, just a blog you're not reading." I'm not good at self-promotion. I made my living promoting other people.

Melanie said...

Also, I think it's less "got his back" and more "plotting his demise."