Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Quiet Neighbors

As promised (or forewarned) back here, I finally rounded up my cemetery photography for posting. Since we live so near this lovely, old cemetery, the kids and I take strolls through it regularly. It's quiet and picturesque...

...and there's lots of birds, geese, and squirrels...

...and big, beautiful, old-growth trees.

Perhaps some of you remain unconvinced. Some of you are saying, "Gross, freak-show. What kind of loon walks in a cemetery with their kids and their camera? I'm going to go look at some kittens now." And if you ARE saying that, and I'm just guessing here, you seem to have a deep-seated fear of encountering The Undead. It's OK. I understand.

But allow me to present the final, most compelling argument for cemetery walks:

That's right. No dogs in here, baby. Say what you will, but in all my cemetery walks I have never ONCE seen any members of The Undead barking, sniffing crotches, or knocking over little kids. Not once. (Not that I have anything against dogs. Especially your dog. Your dog is a special gift direct from puppy heaven. I'm talking about that other guy's dog.)

Without further ado, here is the set. (I sadly, lazily have yet to install my new version of Photoshop, so these are presented untouched and au naturel. Normally this would bother me, but I'm plum tuckered. See? I'm giving into sloth rather than pride.)




Note: After trying to keep Ellie's mitts out of these frames, I finally just went with it.

.

8 comments:

My Crazy Beautiful Life said...

I love this cemetary. Sometime when you're there, look for George and Stella Hiner. They have pretty big markers and I believe they are in the northwest area of the cemetary. My grandparents are much harder to find with little, in-the-ground stones and they are on the west side close to the street. Chester and Violet. Chet died when my dad was just 3 years old so I only know him through stories and pictures. I don't get the creeps from the cemetary at all- it just feels like I'm visiting my grandpa.

Mrs. G. said...

Undead barking dog? You are sick and twisted woman...love the photos. I keep reading about this photoshop. I'm going to have to check it out.

Melanie said...

Tanya: I will look!

Mrs. G: Not an undead barking dog, just human undead. The sign specifically prohibits dogs, undead or otherwise.

Photoshop, though awesome, is really farking expensive, but you can download a 30 day trial on Adobe's website.

Anonymous said...

You never miss a chance to knock the canines which have caused you nothing but stress, frustration and disgust over the years. I think Ellie and Jimmy need a puppy for Christmas. A spaniel perhaps? I know how you love them so.

Melanie said...

Kammie (or anonymous IF THAT'S YOUR REAL NAME): What??? You know I love dogs. I love me some canine. The problem is...I love them TOO much. One would never be enough, my love is that great.

And please keep in mind that any live animal gifts will be sent home with the giver. We simply could not accept anything so GENEROUS.

Nora Bee said...

Great pictures! And how romantic and mysterious, to live near a cemetery. I'm with you on the no-dog thing, I'm terrified of a nice one turning mean, having seen it happen...

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Wow, lovely photos. I need to check your Flickr-- I have some gravestone and cemetery shots myself...

Teresa Ferguson said...

I quite understand your love of cemetaries! My family goes to a cemetary every year for memorial day, and it is always so beautiful and we take pictures too. It's ok. You are not alone!