Wednesday, November 7, 2007

So, Why Am I Doing This?

In one of Lorrie Moore's short stories ("Like Life") the main character's husband, a starving (but self-important) artist who paints these really awful paintings of wild dogs attacking businessmen, is told by an art gallery owner (I'm paraphrasing), "In nature, when a bee has something to communicate to the other bees, it does a little dance. If, however, it simply won't stop dancing, the other bees sting it to death."

When writing this blog, I always have that little tidbit in the back of my head. No one wants to be that bee.

Yet, when you look around the Internet, you'll find tens of thousands of bees, furiously doing their little dances. And I guess that's what I love about electronic self-publishing: it is empowering and immediate and vital, even if prone to narcissism, self-aggrandizement, and really bad spelling. Every bee gets to do their dance.

So, even though I was reluctant to do so, I started this blog last winter. I like to write, I like to take pictures, I like to make things, and I guess, on a gut level, I feel compelled to communicate to my fellow bees.

Worst case scenario: I get stung to death.

6 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Lorrie Moore is a literary goddess and I have all her short stories on the shelf beside my bed...I re-read them over and over again. I just passed on her novel Who Will Run the Frog Hospital to my daughter.

I love the dancing bee metaphor. It's true it can be narcissistic and self aggrandizing and a horrid exercise in poor grammar and spelling, but for me it's a motivator to be creative and to connect. When it's all said and done, it's really about connection.

Lisa Milton said...

I had dinner with a couple of friend last night: a blogger and a naysayer. Naysayer made fun of us, thought it was all dumb. (Not that she has seen either blogs. Just saying.)

Blogging makes me happy. Period. I love writing, and I have 'met' people I adore.

So carry your epi-pen, and be brave. And thanks for stopping by my site.

Nora Bee said...

Hello! See, I really am a Bee so I am highly qualified to comment on this matter :-). I have been reflecting on just this lately, and I say buzz away! How would we find you to sting you to death anyway? Idaho is pretty big. And then if we did find you, who could sting the mama of those cutie pies? Bzzzz.

Camellia said...

recent dream...a woman was getting dressed. Her laptop was on her bed. She was using it like a mirror. When she glanced at herself on her laptop, she felt...present.

I'm sure there's more to say here, but I'm too busy surfing the net to think it through. Buzzing off.

Sheila Cason said...

Keep buzzing little bee.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I'm leaving a comment here since you helpfully provided the link. (And since I didn't see this last year.)

This may be one of my favorite posts you've ever written. And that's saying something.

Here's to the dance!