Monday, December 3, 2007

Curiousities from My Child's "My First French Word Book"

Who's up for some book learning? Let's have a look, shall we? Oui? Oui? Oui.

Ellie looks at this and says, "This is not a pig. What is this?" And when I tell her that it is a rhinoceros, really and truly, and maybe French rhinos are pink, she scoffs and says, "Noooooooo. Not a wino. A wino's not pink. WHAT THIS CALLED?" Then she pumps her tiny fist in the general direction of France.

An aside: did you know that, translated literally, the French word for raccoon means "little rat who washes." True. And do you know what that means, children? It means that, in France, rats are bigger than raccoons. Sacre bleu! (Also true but lesser known: the literal translation of the French word for panda is "bear like an idiot man-child.")

Le pull-over? Le pull-over Cosby, n'est-ce pas? Oui.

Non, non, non. "Un esquimau" is not the preferred nomenclature, dudes. Or les dudes, as it were. Inuit, s'il vous plait.

And lastly....quoi? This is the Loch Ness Monster with pink spots and cuddly bear ears. N'est pas une dinosaure.

7 comments:

standing still said...

Tres bien, Bean Paste.

Kammie said...

Since I was the one who purchased said book I would like to say that I did not purchase the book in a university book store or, in say, France so what do you expect?

Melanie said...

Kammie: I kid, I kid. (Or, I keed, I keed.) Oh, we love the book. Ellie has gotten hours of use out of it, and Byron likes to read it with his crappy, crappy French accent.

Mrs. G. said...

Somewhere, the Loch Ness Monster is gnashing its teeth in despair...pink spots and cuddly bear ears? Not very scary.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I feel so behind. My youngest is only on her "My First English" books.

Sassy said...

I thought everybody knew : French rhinos ARE pink.

Mary Ann said...

Oh, I have this in Spanish and would be happy to send it your way! My daughter is 10 now, and she's fluent in Spanish thanks to this book. Ok, that's a lie, but drop me an email at maryann(at)averymarydesign(dot)com if you'd like it!