Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Resolution 2008: Done and Doner

My primary resolution for early 2008 was pretty simple. It involved the gentle, painless weaning of this guy:

And here we are, right on the first day of the shiny, new year, and that boy is weaned, WEANED, I tell ya. It was a Christmas Miracle (if miracle = husband home on vacation = second party willing to get up in the night and kindly suggest that certain parties don't need to nurse at 2:00 AM anymore), really and truly.

So, here's my next resolution: Don't be pregnant or lactating in 2008. Just for fun, since I've been pregnant or lactating since November of 2003. Not that I'm complaining.

And, please, if you think that I am a cruel, bad woman for weaning that poor baby (who is 14 months old, OK?) under no circumstances should you send an e-mail telling me so. Besides, look at him:

He's thrilled. Breastfeeding was the only thing standing between him and getting his own place downtown. Good luck, little buddy!

13 comments:

Veronica Mitchell said...

I am trying to wean my baby, but it is going very slooooooowly. I wish you joy on your success.

Kammie said...

How cute does he look in those jammies?

Professor J said...

I am sure I have not told you how beautiful your child is this year. I want to nibble his cheeks!

Good luck staying un pregnant this year!

Melanie said...

Veronica: Best of luck. Sloooow is easier on them, I think, and better for engorgement issues. (I can but the "gorge" in "engorgement", let me tell you.) James was down to only nursing at night, so he wasn't eating very much.

Kammie: So, so cute. Thank you for the jammies!

Prof. J: Thank you. I am told "modern science" has "methods" for not getting pregnant. Must "investigate."

Family Adventure said...

Wow! He was clearly ready...and loving that grin in the second picture.

Here's to a year of red wine!

Heidi :)

Magpie said...

Congrats! And, he is cute!!!

Rima said...

He is delicious. I hope you are celebrating this great milestone with some adult beverages.

MamaBird said...

Oh! Thank you so much for posting about this. We are in process over here and look forward to smiles all 'round as cute as your boy's.

Mrs. G. said...

Yeah, he looks like he's totally suffering.

Congrats on the liberation of your breasts!

oh amanda said...

Good for you, Mama! I weaned my daughter at 14mo. too!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I'm so glad he made it easy on you! Are your boobs killing you while they take the time to forget that they're out of business?

Husband Paste (gross) said...

I would have preferred actual weaning credit; in the credits.

"Human child weaned by..."
"This baby weaned by..."
"Weaning services provided by..."
"Official weaning administered by..."


Something like that.
I'll get you back in my guest blog.

Sheila Ann said...

Ahhh...It took a month for me when I weaned mine at 15 months. Now 5 months later he's completely forgotten about it and the only down side is that most 11 year olds are bigger than me!