Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Dinner Tonight: Sake Flank Steak

One of my resolutions for this blog is to get back to a weekly "Dinner Tonight" feature, since I really like seeing what people are cooking for their simple, everyday suppers. It's inspirational and motivational, especially on those days when I'm lacking in both and standing, slack-jawed, at the Grotto of the Open Fridge, beseeching Our Lady of Divine Gastronomical Intervention.

So here's a recent simple supper: Sake-Marinated Flank Steak over Rice. I start by making a marinade with some very basic, very inexpensive grocery store sake. Specifically, this one:

Though this label purports it to be "The Finest Sake", this sake is more accurately "The Finest Sake that Six Dollars Can Buy." But it works just fine here. I mix a fair amount (One cup? One thousand cups? Whatever works for partially covering the meat.) with some soy sauce, fresh grated ginger, and minced garlic. Here are a couple of flank steaks soaking up the goodness:

We are having crazy, dark, blizzard-y weather, so the lighting in these pictures is awful. That marinade photo looks particularly cadaverous. Sorry.

After marinating (a few hours or overnight), the flank steak can be grilled or broiled until it's crusted on both sides and pink in the center, usually about six minutes a side. While the meat is cooking, I like to boil the marinade in a small saucepan until it thickens very slightly.

I slice the meat thin, across the grain, spread it over a bed of steamed rice, pour the sake sauce on top, and garnish with green onions or cilantro.

This is consistently a hit with my family members, from the biggest to the littlest, and even that fish is thinking, "Yes. Yeeesss. Eat more beef."

Also, I've just starting reading this for the new year:

...but I'm pretty sure it endorses a diet rich in booze-soaked red meat. And Diet Dr. Pepper. And plenty of this stuff.

Somewhere, Dr. Oz and Oprah are rolling their eyes and saying, "Girrrrl, please. She needs an ah-ha moment. Pass the raw almonds."

11 comments:

BipolarLawyerCook said...

That's why I love low carbing. Because my desert island food is BEEF. I am the cattlemens' association's dream-- um, except for the free range, grass fed, pesticide free thing.

JennyP said...

I am now friends with the raw almond...we weren't friends for a really long time, but now we are and it's lovely

edj said...

I use a variation of that marinade (sans sake, which is hard to get where I've been living) for skewers. Yum!! I serve them with rice, grilled veggies (mostly onions and peppers), and an assortment of sauces to choose from, found cheap at Asian import stores.

Lisa Milton said...

I like me a raw almond and some boozy meat. This recipe is ideal for my husband; he can barely tolerate my tofu-eating ways.

Mrs. G. said...

This looks delicious. Tomorrow is my day off, and this is what we are having for dinner. Love the fish platter. I have a thing for coy.

Nora Bee said...

Yes, Dr Oz is probably on his way to your place to flap his sample preserved clogged artery gleefully in front of your face. Whatever. A well-aimed raw almond should stun him for long enough for you to run away. Beef rocks (and can I come live in your house if this is an everyday supper?) Please?

standing still said...

Sounds delicious. In a family who doesn't eat much beef, would chicken work? I'm sure it would. Yummmy. BTW. Me? On a Diet? That would be the book I'd read. Lots of question marks and why the hell would I do that?

Family Adventure said...

That looks yummy...and actually sounds doable for a non-cook such as myself. Thanks for sharing.

Raw almonds...don't knock'em :)

Heidi

Melanie said...

I love how everyone's rushing to the raw almond's defense. Up with raw almonds!

I, personally, have no beef (ha!) with the raw almond. I just figured that's what Oz and O would be snacking on. While they sit on giant piles of money.

Melanie said...

standing still: I'm sure chicken would work. (Except for the pink in the center part!)

Professor J said...

I'm thinking Dr. Oz might have a few words for alcohol soaked professors, too.