Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day 17: Swinger

Day 17: Swinger

Saturday was dry and warm enough for a (brief) trip to the (only somewhat freezing) park, and this was a thrilling development for the 30 Tiny project. Because a trip to the park = photo op GOLD, people. And this was one of my favorite captures: I love her expression, the color of the sky with her pink coat and red mittens, the way the bare trees create a natural vignette, the fact that she's in motion and therefore gracefully obscuring the unfortunate haircut recently perpetrated upon her by her mother...

But perhaps the most interesting thing about this photo is the way it belies the utter chaos that was happening all around us. You give sun-starved, cabin-fevered Idahoans one clear Saturday afternoon in the 40's and they flock to the park like roaches. (Is it a flock of roaches? A swarm of roaches? Aaaah, of course: an intrusion.)

I took some photos of the craziness, but the kinder-madness did not translate digitally and my pictures failed to capture the sprawling, horrifying throngs of children, parents, and their dogs, not to mention the screaming. Oh, the screaming.

So, here's my rendering of how the playground felt, how it felt in my soul:

playgroundBosch

There. So...how was your weekend?

(Part of the 30 Tiny Moments project.)

22 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It is amazing that you could get the first shot amid the mayhem of the second shot!

bipolarlawyercook said...

Bosch never had a chance to capture playgrounds in winter. You've done him honor.

Amy the Mom said...

My weekend involved a solemn vow to burn all my black turtlenecks come April. Very, very sick of subzero temperatures.

stephanie said...

Wow - the dichotomy is stunning. I especially love the intrusion of Macaulay Culkin. A screaming photo is not complete without him.

Melanie said...

Yes, the formal name of the piece is "Playground Bosch (with Culkin)."

It is available in a dramatic 11 x 6 foot format, ideal for hanging over your sofa.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Our weekend also included a trip to the park. And one hike. No screaming was detected in our region.

amy t sharp said...

awesome pic!!!!!

Rima said...

I've always equated playgrounds with Bosch landscapes. Well done!

hippyhappyhay said...

I have had that feeling exactly. That's secretly why I unschool my children, so we can go place in school hours and I don't have to face everyone elses kids. Just kidding, kinda.

Love that pic, again, just 30?

Melanie said...

Hay:

I'm pretty sure that I'd chase nearly everyone off by day 90.

But thanks!

bluemountainsmary said...

That first picture is perfection. I know how hard a really good swinging photo is to get...

And the second picture - should become the poster for crazy afternoons at the park anywhere in the world!

Magpie said...

I love your Boschian collage.

Nora Bee said...

Uh...who's Bosch? Yall are so smart. I love the photo and the peek into your soul. Our park was similar this weekend but maybe not quite so insane.

Oliver Rain said...

This picture is wonderful. It captures the amazing quality of a child on a swing that you can never recapture as an adult. I just get a light head and queezy stomache.

dkuroiwa said...

Oh, but to be a kid again!! My boys get so embarrassed when I try to swing like that!! :-D
And the second picture...awesome! Looks like I feel when I go to the shopping mall on a rainy day here!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Mike Golch said...

the first shot is amazing.that second shot is kinda like a day in our collective lives,No?

Mrs. G. said...

I like the swinging photo, but I need to know the name of that park. I want to go there.

I AM VERY MARY said...

That park picture is the exact reason that I force my child to remain indoors, play video games, and avoid all human contact. Is that cruel of me?

Sojourner said...

You are an amazing photographer, Melanie. I have been perusing your photos, and they are awesome. I can spend hours looking at good pic. And your children are beautiful!

Sweet Pepita said...

Man! Do you think "Playground Bosch (with Culkin)." will be available in a set of greeting cards? I would totally order them! Nice!

Lisa Milton said...

I think it's a murder of cockroaches. Maybe.

Glad you were able to get the kids outside for awhile, amid the chaos.

Fresh air and/or booze are my favorite cures for winter blues.

Stu said...

We don't have nearly as many naked people in our parks as you do. I knew Idaho had it's own ways of doing things but, wow...

If we order one of your prints for above the couch, are they individually signed and numbered. I am a snob when it comes to art.

-Stu

PS: great capture of in-flight fun