Wednesday, April 2, 2008

30 Tiny Moments: The Breakneck Wrap Up

With everything going on, I got sidetracked and failed to finish up my 30 Tiny Moments project, which has been creating some nagging feelings and cognitive dissonance (Blognitive dissonance, perchance? Eh, eh?) and all that jazz. So, though the pictures are neither in perfect consecutive-day order nor particularly good, here they are.

Whew. That feels good.


Day 22: Up By Three (or Upped By Three)

Day 22: When You're Up By Three..
She's the home team and extremely pleased with herself, thankyouverymuch.


Day 23: The Binky Tree

Tree Binks
Sooo...those are pacifiers. Suspended by ribbons from a tree in the back yard. This whole thing, in the grand tradition of Lying To One's Children, involved a "Binky Fairy" and a certain 3 year-old junkie and an elaborate parental performance involving a long-forgotten jar of M.A.C. glitter. Perhaps the less said, the better.


Day 24: Elephant Towel

Day 24: Elephant Towel, Ladies
Presenting...the best argument for months of vomiting, stretch marks, and horrifying, time-bending back labor.


Day 25: Bananas
Day 25: Two Day Banana Supply
That, people, is a TWO-TO-THREE-DAY banana supply in this household. I can never buy enough. Jimmy, alone, eats two for breakfast every morning and his stomach is allegedly the size of his own wee fist. No idea where he's putting these. Also, I'm fairly sure that evolutionary theory skeptics would totally renege if they spent one morning with my children.


Day 26: The Pink Knit Hat
Day 26: Pink Knit Hat
Ellie is modeling a cheap knit beanie I bought, freezing and panicked by the ocean-chilled wind, for five bucks off the street in Times Square in January of 2006. Now Ellie, who is often freezing and panicked, wears it all the time.


Day 27: Prairie Dog Tunnels
Day 27: Cave Dwellers
Taken in the prairie dog exhibit at Zoo Boise, you might recognize this from my new spring masthead. FYI: I cannot type "prairie" correctly to save my life.


Day 28: Crusty
Day 28: Crusty Hearts
Sometimes, when you're making chicken pot pie to comfort people you love, it's OK to use the extra pie dough to fashion little dough hearts with thyme sprigs in the center. Under normal circumstances, you would feel pretty twee about this.


Day 29: Bubbles!
Day 29:  Bubbles, I Tell You, Bubbles!
What could be better?


Day 30: Little Monsters
Day 30: Little Monsters
This is a shot of Ellie and her adorable little monster friend, lovingly crafted by the delightful Mary Ann of A Very Mary Design. (She doesn't have any in stock right now, but her monsters are completely charming. Ellie's is made from a vintage pillow case and has lots of darling embroidered details, including a tiny bum crack. I need to make the monster some low-rise skinny jeans to properly showcase her coin slot, I think.)

And, as you can see in the photo, that whole binky thing worked out swell.

(Here endeth the 30 Tiny Moments project.)

30 comments:

Magpie said...

Those are so wonderful. I can't decide which is my favorite, but it might be the chicken pot pie.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I loved the captions as much as I loved the photos.

Sorry the Binky Tree didn't work its magic, by the way. Maybe you need more glitter?

hippyhappyhay said...

Those are all wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)

Someone Being Me said...

Those are all fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I really love the hearts on the chicken pot pie.

smalltownmom said...

The elephant towel is great (as is the precious darling inside it).

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Very lovely.

We donated binkies to the baby ducks in the lake. No retrieval possible.

Mrs. G. said...

I was in dire need of some Beanpaste loving. I feel so much better now.

Rima said...

Not that good? I think those pictures are amazing, woman!

I still remember the day I gave up my binky. I think I was about three, as well. My parents punched a tiny hole in the end of it, resulting in some pretty poor suckage. They were lurking when I discovered that the binky was defective, and said something to the effect of, "Oh, noes! The binky is broken! We'll have to give it to the garbage men." And so I waited at the curb bright and early the next morning to hand over my binky to the garbage collectors, who graciously accepted it.

Good luck with all that!

JMC said...

Great pictures!

Lisa Milton said...

Your little cherubs make me smile.

Thanks.

bluemountainsmary said...

Th binky tree made me smile.

Your little girl with binky firmly in mouth made me smile even more.

And what Mrs G said.

Loralee Choate said...

I love all these photos (The ones of the wee one in pink are heart melting)

MamaBird said...

Aww, pastry hearts! And the winning at air hockey shot. Love these! You are amazing and, yeah, what Mrs. G said (too). Prairie. Whew, just had to try it. Lots of retyping.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I love them all!! Air hockey, bubbles, sleep and pie! You have covered all the bases.

Jozet at Halushki said...

Gorgeous.

Simply gorgeous.

Elephant towel is monumentally adorable.

stu said...

A monster with ass crack is great. Maybe you could sell your 'coin slot' jeans to Mary as accessories for her monsters.

-Stu

Family Adventure said...

It's OK to go away for a few days, when you bring back such treats. Just don't let it happen too often (the going away part, not the photo treats - they can happen every day).

Heidi

Sojourner said...

Great wrap to a magnificent project! You and your children are the fuel for many, many smiles and warm feelings. Too many great photos to pick a favorite!

J. said...

I think your "Tiny Moments" would make for a great book (perhaps "365 Moments"?) or at the very least a wonderful Christmas present for relatives. You could do one of those custom photo albums on Shutterfly or the like with your witty captions.

So how come no publishers have given you a $300K advance to turn your blog into a book? They don't know what they are missing.

Btw, thank you for making the mundane marvelous and for inspiring me to start my own project.

TEOM said...

Those Binky Fairies always let you down.

Mike Golch said...

the photos are great and that pie man that looks good.

Professor J said...

oh, the elephant towel slays me. You have such a good eye.

~michele said...

These make me so happy; I'm so glad that you've shared :)

Amy the Mom said...

My favorite is the bubbles. So freaking cute!

I AM VERY MARY said...

Miss E is my kind of girl. I am regularly freezing and panicked. I totally understand how a pink knit hat helps out in those situations.

Also, I love your photo of the monster. She's adorable sleeping there with your monster.

Minnesota Matron said...

Elephant towel would be the matronly favorite (tough choice, though).

Claire B. said...

Wonderful photos and you are hilarious as usual.

So much love. . . it's just that obvious.

Beverly said...

When my kids were 2 or 3, they could eat two bananas a day. But by age 6 or so, they stopped liking them so much.
Hmmm ... I guess that really not a very interesting story.

HomeMadeOriginals said...

I found your blog from reading Mrs. G's blog. I'll be back. Amazing pictures! I love the babe in the towel photo.

and you are a fellow Idahoan (I'm in Pocatello)

Digits said...

I love your photographs!