Monday, August 25, 2008

How To Turn Four, Dalmatian-Style

Woof
First, tell your mother you want a "Dalmatian Plantation" for your birthday, but most especially you'd like a dalmatian cake. Design tip: it should have spots and lots of them. Your mother will lovingly construct a giant, teetering, four-layer, spotted monstrosity, and you will tell her, "Oh, THANK YOU for the LOVELY cake, Mommy!" because you are a pal like that. You won't even notice the crooked side (or you're just too polite to point it out).

The spread
You should have lots of food...

dawgs
...including hot dogs, which really work with the theme, though on a slightly disturbing level.

Inspecting the workmanship
Don't forget the games. Perhaps a rousing game of Slap the Felt Spot On The Dalmatian? Aces.

Total disorientation
And who doesn't love a nice piñata? Though do be sure to opt for the piñata that isn't reinforced with rebar and industrial-strength NASA spaceglue. Trust me.

Playing Possum during the singing
When everyone is gathered around singing "Happy Birthday" to you, it can get a little embarrassing. It's perfectly understandable if you close your eyes and hold perfectly still, as if attempting to avoid a bear mauling or detection by a mountain lion or something. Your mom totally gets it. She has only enjoyed being sung to in public on a handful of occasions, and those occasions involved copious amounts of birthday liquor, which is not the least bit appropriate when you are four.

Blowing Out The Candles
Because your cake weighs more than you, you'll really need to put your back into the blowing-out process.

Well Done
Good job, you.

Dalmatian Cake Core Sample
Don't forget to lurk nearby during the cake-cutting because you don't want to miss all the frosting-sneaking opportunities. It really is important to frequently sneak frosting on your birthday because, kid: life offers so few frosting-sneaking opportunities.

Birthday glee
When you're done unwrapping presents, ask your parents to pile up all the tissue and wrapping paper so that you can roll in it for about five glorious minutes. And, lastly, consider making next year's party theme "Piles of Wrapping Paper" because, really, I think you'll get some serious enjoyment out of it.

The good life

(For the full, staggeringly giant set of pics, head over to Flickr.)

36 comments:

The Girl said...

What a fantastic party! Your daughter is one lucky little girl! And the cake looked quite yummy... Now I want cake. :( LOL!

a Tonggu Momma said...

You are one amazing momma! I probably would have spent three days trying to convince the Tongginator that Scooby Doo really WAS a dalmation, just one who liked to roll around in the dirt.

It wouldn't have worked.

And then I would have called my own personal version of you, my best friend Canuck K, who also gives her girls parties like this. And I would have made her help me.

J. said...

I want that cake, too! YUM. You can throw me a party and bake me a cake any time (well, except that I'm in CT and you're in ID ; ). Great pictures (as usual).

bluemountainsmary said...

I will go to Flickr because blogger infuriatingly has decided that it does not want to share your photos with me.

Although it did choose to tease me with a photo of the cake.

Oh my giddy aunt that is some cake!

lori said...

That looks like it was an awesome party and WOW I want a piece of cake right now. (That cake specifically, but if another cake were to magically appear in my kitchen I wouldn't complain.)

Lisa Milton said...

Now that's some party.

(The romp through the 'wrapping paper 'party is genius.)

Lisa Milton said...

Did I mention she's darling? Almost forgot...

MamaBird said...

Oh, sweetness and light. Perfect party, 'dorable girl.

Veronica @Toddled Dredge said...

I love the look on her face as she contemplates that cake. Perfect.

Happy Birthday, girl.

smalltownmom said...

That was a memorable party. Loved the cake, the bone-shaped pinata, and especially the rolling around in the wrapping paper. Fun!

iloveupstate.com said...

Soooo cute!!!
And rockin' cake too!

standing still said...

Yee Haw! I love a theme party by Mommy. You hit that one out of the park! And, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Caaaaaakkkkkkkeeeeee.

the (new) cheap chick said...

She. Is. So. CUTE!!!! Seriously you guys, if you move here to MN, I will TOTALLY babysit for you!

Does that sound stalker-y? Because I don't mean it to. Also! Stop by my blog and see your linky love in today's post!

Kelly said...

Secret number 1 to a successful pinata is to stab it several times with a knife.

Secret number 2 is NEVER let the children SEE you stabbing their pinata. Especially if it is shaped a a cute animal or cartoon character.

hippyhappyhay said...

slightly disturbing?

Cor, you throw a mighty fine shindig m'lady.

Kelly said...

I'm DYING at her closing her eyes during the singing. My baby sister at her 2nd or 3rd birthday bursted into tears when we sang to her. It IS awkward and uncomfy and embarrassing! And it never gets better.

Happy birthday to your baby girl. She's gorgeous!

dkuroiwa said...

Oh, but I do miss the whole "kid birthday party" idea!! (Not a big thing AT ALL over here...unless I do one myself!)
That cake looked huge....and absolutely scrumdilliumptious!!
What a great party for a kid...or even a "big" kid!!
You done good, Mama!!

Louise said...

All sweeteness.

Maybe we should remember that wrapping paper and tissue paper make better gifts than toys!

reneedesigns said...

That looks like a lot of fun. And the cake, yummy!

dec0r8or said...

LOVED Every. Minute. !!! I love the closed eyes while people sang part....too funny. I was just at a three-year-old's birthday party last weekend where the birthday girl just sat there very seriously and stared at the cake while we all sang and the candles burned--then kept sitting, without a smile, for about three minutes, before she said "DADDY helps me blow them out." Too funny. Kids.

The Boddeker Blog said...

How fun is that??? The cake is beautiful and so is your newly four year old!!!

justjuli said...

What a great party! Did you have two different kinds of cake layered there?? Wow! You'll have to do a post on that one sometime. Love the chocolate chips too, btw. Great touch.

Did she really sit still like that for her singing? Or was it just the one photo. Too darling.

And I think I'll try rolling around in wrapping paper on my next birthday. I'd rather be rolling in moolah - the the paper is a more likely option!

Sheri said...

That cake looks delicious! What a great party. And what a cutie.

Jenn said...

What a fun looking party,wanna come do the parties at my house from now on?

Sweet Pepita said...

That is the most delicious looking cake EVER! And the cutest birthday girl, too. So awesome!

~m said...

Happy birthday, New-Four-year-old Sweetie!

P.S. Your momma does amazing parties!

Sojourner said...

Oh my gawd! That looked like one great party. I am drooling over the cake. What a funny little bunny closing her eyes for her birthday song. She is TOOOO cute!

When I was a child my mama used to make all kinds of wonderful birthday cakes. My favorite was the guitar cake for my 14th birthday- when I also got a guitar and lessons to go with.

Which Box said...

that cake looks freaking amazing. you have to share instructions. I want some RIGHT NOW. (am pregnant. Can be demanding like that).

Irene said...

What a huge cake you made, yummy! I suppose it's too late to come by your house and have some? I want to wrap myself in tissue paper too and roll around in it. That little girl doesn't know how good she has it. She did a good job blowing out the candles.

i am very mary said...

I am having a birthday soon, and I think I have just learned some highly valuable celebration tips.

Trevlyn said...

Hi! You bid on my auction, and I just swung by to take a peek at your adorable blog!

I'm so in love with this party theme and want my "just turned 4 year old" to fall in love with dalmations now so I can do this party for her next birthday! Very clever!

Jennifer said...

Wow party! I guess I should get to planning my boys 4th.
She's adorable and you're awesome!

Stu said...

I love those pinatas that even a lumberjack would have a hard time getting into...

That cake looks tasty.

-Stu

Nora Bee said...

Holy crap, Melanie--did you save me a piece of that cake? Mmmmmmm.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

It is all so very marvelous, and your hilarious captioning is the icing on the cake (BA DUM BUM!).

Your daughter is such a doll; a mini-you, really.

The Girl Next Door said...

HOly Cow what a party - what a CAKE! You are the best momma. And she has totally squeezable cheeks, that one. I do love your blog and told the world with an award on mine - come check it out!