Friday, October 3, 2008

Shelter From The Storm

As the daily news continues to scare the living tar out of me, fueling my general anxiety and worst-case-scenarios involving living off the land of rural Idaho, subsisting on nothing but sugar beets and whistlepigs*, my greatest source of solace is unplugging and behaving like a complete child. This past week has been filled with those delicious, golden, last gasps of summer and I've been trying to take the kids to the park every day. Sitting under the trees, watching the children play in dappled, late-morning sunlight, far away from the rolling Ticker Tape of Failure, things seem downright fine.

And though we may never retire and their entire college funds may evaporate by November, for now we have these lazy autumn mornings at the park, and that's worth something, right?

kiddlesslider
orange and gold
sunny girl
sunny boy
slide
e
hide and seekdappled

Right.

*Hillbilly Idaho-ese for ground squirrel. Have never actually eaten one. Am expecting them to taste like gamey little chicken wings. Am hoping for the best.

15 comments:

MsPrufrock said...

I am sooooo happy you have used the word whistlepig. My brother said it a couple of years ago jokingly during a conversation, and it was the first time I'd heard it. I don't think I can hear it or read it without laughing hysterically.

Lovely photos!

the cheap chick said...

Thank you for the beautiful pix and the reminder of what REALLY matters: Our kids, their future, and being there for both.

Jenn said...

I have never heard that before. The pictures are great !

Sheri said...

Those are beautiful pictures, and that looks like a lovely way to spend the day. Good reminder of what's really important.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

The seriousness & intensity of children (especially your ridiculously adorable ones) at play is stunning. It is enough to erase anxiety about having to eat...Idahoan stuff.

:D be well

MamaBird said...

Dude. At least you have potatoes. DC doesn't have congressional representation OR anything edible except if you count our lead-tainted tapwater. And ohmigaaaawd your kids are getting so big! The cuteness multiplies. Awesome pics.

i am very mary said...

Who needs college anyway? I mean, apparently we only need to be governor of some state for two years to qualify for VP of the US. So college-schmollege, I say.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Funny how the rest of the world fades when you watch your child smile.

That's one of the beauties of motherhood -- perspective.

Lisa Milton said...

I reckon you could make something mighty good with those whistlepigs, given your foodie ways.

Don't give up hope. (I tell myself the same each day.)

Have you heard your kids are cute before? Just checking.

Hay said...

Downright fine alright.
Gorgeous.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I need me some of that.

bluemountainsmary said...

It has to be worth something.

Else we are TRULY doomed!

Irene said...

I'll have me some whistlepigs with a side order of sugar beets, please. That would be might tasty, I bet.

~m said...

I guess I will reluctantly admit that I have had whistlepig (altho in PA it was not called that) but I was young enough to eat what I was given and not fuss. It's a bit on the tough side...and not much meat on them bones. Makes you wonder why in the world someone would actually feel compelled to HUNT them. But that is my sad past as the child of a wild game hunter.
And I agree that those pics pretty much represent everything that IS important in our lives. Somehow if you have that, you get by without the other stuff.

Angie said...

We've turned the TV off too. Instead we are listening to music, reading riding out the storm.

Best idea and the only thing we CAN do, right?