Saturday, November 15, 2008

Don't Wanna Think About It, Don't Want To Think Clear...

Tonight, standing in line at the quiet grocery store, I hear the strains of Wilson Phillips' "Impulsive" being piped through the speakers and even though this is a minor, B-side work in the Wilson-Phillipian canon, I seem to know every single word ("...arrows through hearts, drawn on a misty window...") and find myself ever so slightly (impulsively?) mouthing the words while faintly, faintly swaying and the (gay) checker at the next stand, leaning on his register, is doing the same thing and we lock eyes and there is a moment, a kind of mutual confession, and we are both thinking: you know, everyone thinks this music is so terrible and, Gawd, they are completely right.

10 comments:

The Boisterous Butterfly said...

I bet that was a great moment of mutual understanding. You could have made a new friend right then and there. Moments like that are very rare. Make sure to say "hi" to him the next time you see him.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

I really really really extra want to live in your neighborhood now.

Do you also reluctantly sing & dance along to "MMMMBop" by Hanson? Me too. (If you said "YES!" Otherwise, Neither do I)

i am very mary said...

Thank you for, by way of that whole stream of consciousness thing, implanting the lyrics to "Hold On" in my head, which I will now carry into my dreams, which will ceratinly cause some sort of damage to my psyche.

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh! That was such the perfect thing to make me laugh this morning! Thank you!!! I do stuff like that all the time. Only I seem to break into song when it is Air Supply being broadcast.

J. said...

That's Ear Worm Radio, Melanie: All Annoying (or Cloying), All the Time.

And the scary thing is, the second I read "Don't Wanna Think About It..." the mental jukebox immediately loaded that song.

Angie said...

Wilson Phillips - girl, did you just take me back! Hate to admit it - but I loved them - knew every word to every song.

The blond married the cute Baldwin brother - ooh, ooh.

Larue said...

Imagine how I feel, a die-hard Wham! fan, when a song comes on over the loud speaker in a store, and I am yearning to jam away and some young whippersnapper walks by and says, "What is this? A golden oldie?"

Because then of course I want to run them down with my cart.

Saucy said...

I often find myself cooing along with the refrain of the muzak. My brother is at the point where he almost declines to visit Wal-Mart with me... it was the Debbie Gibson.

Oh, I mean Deb-orah Gibson.

the cheap chick said...

So so so so so true That is the worst song ever sung by the worst band ever conceived.

And yet, I know all the words, too. Sigh.

Kammie said...

We all have our musical sins to atone for. We have the 80's to thank for most of them.