Sunday, November 23, 2008

Preschooling

The lovely Juli (who blogs about her life right over here at Justjuli) wants an update on Ellie's now two-month-old preschool career.

Well, Ellie loves preschool. She loves her teacher, loves several of her (ahem) male classmates, loves singing "The Milkshake Song" in the hallway before snacktime, loves snacktime, loves playing on the playground. When I come to pick her up every day, eagerly unlatching the iron gate and searching her out among the fifteen bright little coats, she sees me and brightly says, "Oh, hi, Maaaaam. I'm not ready yet,OK?" and continues digging or running or climbing the wrong way up the slide. She is happy as the proverbial pig in mud (or sand or sidewalk chalk or pea gravel.)

But more than anything, this is what Ellie loves best about preschool:

Gallery
They. Have. Paint. And they clip the paper to the walls and wrap you in a smock and let you go to town with the paint and go to town she does. Nearly every school day there are one or two of these tempera masterpieces in Ellie's folder, and I have been taping them up in our entryway and giving them away to grandparents left and right. The paintings are intense and vibrant and messy, much like the artist herself, and they cheer me up every day.

So, Juli, if nothing else, preschool has been an enormous success because, for four hours every week, Ellie goes somewhere that is not my dining room table and paints (the wall, her hands, her arms, her face) and I, for once, don't have to clean it up. Worth every tuition penny.

19 comments:

Blue Mountains Mary said...

Absolutely worth every penny.

I recall that each of my children had a love affair with preschool, then a brief period of loathing the place and then resuming the love affair.

Just in case you needed to know that.

bipolarlawyercook said...

Do you know where I can get a preschool for my BH when he's in the mood to bake? Because that would be worth every penny, too.

J. said...

I am really, really hoping she is not singing this "Milkshake Song," which is the one I immediately thought of (even though I have a 10-year-old childhood who attended pre-school when she was younger). My bad?

FYI, the lyrics to this "Milkshake Song" are the number one hit when you type "Milkshake Song" into Google.

On a sweeter note, thanks for the pre-school memories. : ) They grow up so fast...

J. said...

*10-year-old CHILD, not childhood. Sadly, my childhood ended long ago...

Lisa Milton said...

Ah, paint. It IS worth every penny.

carrie said...

Going to town with the paint is what preschool was invented for!

Tammy said...

I like the one at the top with the yellow background. Very insightful, that Ellie.

Melanie said...

J: Haaaaaa. No, different song. And, as far as I know, her milkshake does not bring all the boys to yard. If it does, she's grounded.

the cheap chick said...

So true - and she's learning all those interactive skills, like sharing and caring and whatnot. Granted, it appears she's learning them all with boys...

And her paintings are lovely. Gee, I wonder where she gets her artistic skils from???

J. said...

@Melanie: PHEW! ; ) But just give it a few years. With her looks and charm, it's just a matter of time.

Renovation Therapy said...

We shall refer to this as her "jewel tone period".

lapoflux said...

There's a lot of marriage speculation going on in our 4 year-old playground... hello?? You're 4!!!!!

Julia's teacher finds paint too messy (ahem?? they're 4??) so we're still doing it at home. I'm jealous, enjoy!

i am very mary said...

I took all Cie's crispy little paintings, sheared them into 8x10" pieces and made some notebooks for her future college-aged self.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

We're also two-month-long BIG fans of preschool and messy painting (not at home thankyou) and my kids think the only way to get UP a slide is to walk up it.

(They only occasionally get yelled at by semi-neurotic playground groupie moms.)

The Girl Next Door said...

Spectacular. And how lucky those grandparents with those priceless presents!!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

My daughter is in kindergarten this year and she STILL misses preschool. It's fer sure a magical time.

KatrinaM said...

Boy, did that take me back. Elsie loved to paint at preschool too. I loved art time at preschool because I couldn't handle it very well at home. It was perfect. I still love to check up on you every week. You can make me miss Boise faster than about anyone. Keep it up!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I felt the same way about play-doh and preschool.

Her genius shines through.

Magpie said...

Oh yes indeed - I loved that about daycare too - paint everywhere, except in my house. Joy!