Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Primary Virtue Of A Digital Camera

Final Branch Shot
Some of you have sweetly (foolishly?) requested additional photography tutorials and I promise they are in the works, just in time for the holidays. In the meantime, though, I want to reveal my most obvious, rank-amateurish, digital photography trick: taking an absolute mess of pictures, emphasis on the mess. If something particularly cute or lovely or hilarious is happening, I snap snap snap feverishly away and, though the bulk of those photos will eventually be deleted, there is usually a winner in there somewhere. Case in point, the following pictures of Ellie, at sunset, playing with a dead branch:



Out of all those shots, only a few keepers. And the lighting was a little blown-out, so I had to up the contrast and saturation a bit. But all is not wasted! The blurry, poorly-framed duds are still entertaining, particularly in slideshow format. Or even possibly...

Ellie Branch Club Remix

Oooh, that's the ticket. (I had to sign up for a Photobucket account just for that one joke, can you see how much I love you people?)

So, that's my best, mind-blowing advice: take a lot of pictures. I'm a veritable font of information, I know.

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

I do find that I play with my digital camera more than I did with a film camera. (Not that I am any kind of photographer. At all.) With the fear of wasting film eliminated, I just shoot away and try to find the gem among the duds.

bipolarlawyercook said...

You know what, though? You still need to find something to aim at. You aim well, lady.

kellyg said...

What kind of camera do you have? I have a point and shoot digital camera and have been considering moving up to an SLR, but I just don't know if I'll actually use any of the features. It makes no sense to get a fancy SLR if all I'm going to do is leave it on auto, y'know?

The other nice thing about the point and shoot is that it is small enough to fit into my pocket so it's easy to have on hand.

Lisa Milton said...

You know we will gobble up any BeanPic advice you offer up, right?

Because your pictures are delightful.

The Boddeker Blog said...

Thanks for the wonderful candy+chocolate=turkey thing (?), craft (?) recipe(?) The kids had a great time and it wasn't nearly as messy as I pictured! Some of our Thanksgiving guests even ate them, although I had pictured them as more of a decoration thing!
http://boddekerblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/happy-thanksgiving.html

goblinbox said...

You forgot "...while pointing the camera at the object you wish to shoot."

Snort!

~m said...

That photobucket thingy made my day :)

thanks for more photo-goodness tips!

i am very mary said...

snicker snicker. dead branch remix.

The Girl Next Door said...

oh that sweet sweet child and now I have to go learn ANOTHER thing - photobucket? adorable.

carrie said...

I do the same thing - thank god we don't have to develop each shot like in the olden days! :)

The Finely Tuned Woman said...

I am still trying to get used to the fact that I can take endless photographs and it doesn't matter if most of them don't turn out at all. I still have the old mindset. Hard to get over. Must practice a lot.

g said...

No fooling, I snap snap snap away and sometimes only get ONE decent shot out of dozens.

Love the animation (not sure if that's what to call it!)

justhay said...

So true.

Except now, I worry about my shutter count....can't win really.

Love that little branch montage.

Urang Kita said...

hai, u have a cute children.

Saucy said...

No, I totally agree... with digital, quantity is KEY. The more the better. You can sift and;
delete, delete, delete. Well done.

Country Girl said...

Your right, that is the key. I am just figuring that out. She's a cutie.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

You (and your funktastic, adorable girl) are brilliant.

ophelia rising said...

Melanie, I'm in the market for a camera. Would you let me know what kind of camera you have, if you don't mind and have a minute? It's wonderful...

ubuntujournal@gmail.com