Sunday, November 9, 2008

Throw Your Lambs Up At Me

misspelled name
So, perhaps you have wondered, "Melanie, how's that whole Up With People Project coming? That thing? Where you promised to try a little harder, give when it felt like you can't, say yes when you wanted to say no?"

First of all, thanks for "asking." It's like you "read" my "mind." Second of all, it's going super, so extremely well, in fact, that I've been saying yes to all manner of things, things I would normally never take on, including...brace yourself...directing our church's Christmas play.

That's right. I'm the director. Of the Christmas play. Or, more accurately, Christmas dinner theater extravaganza. It's dinner theater for Jesus, people, and I'm at the helm. (Truthfully, The Up With People Project was only part of my accepting the job; the other part was my deep, abiding love for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Although we really don't have any Herdmans, I'm sure something will go spectacularly, heartwarmingly awry.)

And, though it has been and will continue to be an enormous amount of work, I know that it will be worth it. Everyone I've asked to participate--to pitch in, use their talent, donate their time--has been sweet and gracious, experiencing their own Up With People moment. So here is where I should say something inspiring about yes inspiring yes, about helping begetting even more help, but instead I will say this:

I've already got a line on a live donkey, but would really love some sheep, not to mention a human infant. So, sheep owners and new parents of southwestern Idaho? Call me.

14 comments:

JessTrev said...

If anyone can inspire ppl to toss up their baby lambies it'd be the Paste. Community servant, you are. Thanks again for the blog revamp!

planetnomad said...

My oldest played baby Jesus in a Christmas pageant when he was 5 mos old. He was ADORABLE! It was especially memorable because we were going to an African church in Portland at the time, so his mother was Nigerian and his father was 1/2 Indonesian and they all looked a bit like that classic pic of Jesus blessing the children, only in reverse, since he was the baby.

i am very mary said...

If I had a real life baby human, I would totally send him to you via UPS.

the cheap chick said...

I soooooo want to figure out a way to get to Idaho this Christmas, just so I can see the production. You go on with your bad director self!

Dave S. said...

For spectacular, heartwarming awryness it's hard to beat the use of live animals, so you're good to go.

kelly said...

Ummm.... is your pageant outside? If not, do you have a clean up crew as part of your manger scene? Because you just KNOW that your "something will go heartwarmingly wrong" will be an animal going potty while onstage. Nothing more heartwarming than that.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I must confess... I was once Gladys Herdman. And yes, there was slight typecasting going on. Have fun!

Lisa Milton said...

Your heart makes me happy.

J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J. said...

Maybe you could dress up the cats as sheep? (You do have cats, yes?) Or perhaps your adorable little lambs, Ellie and Jimmy, or some other sweet young thing would consent to portraying the Lord's flock should the real thing not be acquirable. (Note: Children, while often harder to shepherd, do not tend to defecate on stage. Just saying.)

And thank you for the explanation of Neopolitan pizza and the "W." review. : )

Nora Bee said...

How about just a baby sheep? Two birds.

Claire B. said...

Oh my. Things are much more elaborate in the Christmas pageant business these days. We just wrapped up in bedsheets, put garland on our heads and became angels.

But that was a thousand centuries ago. Wish I could lend a hand--or a lamb--to you, brave woman!

stephanie (bad mom) said...

I'm going to add a particularly inappropriate comment at this point: Contact your local Boise State fraternities for sheep.

And possibly babies.

Good luck; God bless.

family-of-five said...

holy guacamole, I can't wait to see the pictures. I love donkeys, they are the cutest.