Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cheap Thrills In Seattle (aka: Choosing The Miracle)

2009-5-22 Seattle 215
On Memorial Day weekend, my mom, Ellie, and I snuck out of town for a badly needed, completely invigorating, whirlwind girls' weekend in Seattle. Traveling with one child, one four-year-old-girl-child, is really the bee's knees.

Behold, some of the pretty (and pretty cheap) wonderment:

2009-5-22 Seattle 049

The head of a giraffe, a giraffe so close to my camera that he nearly bumped into the lens. (You can count his eyelashes.)

2009-5-22 Seattle 028
Ellie (and my friend Nora's sweet boy) feeding lettuce and carrots to the giraffe. (Only a fiver! And admission free with cheap-ass Zoo Boise pass! Gotcha, Seattle.)

2009-5-22 Seattle 113
A seven-buck Cuban roast sandwich from Paseo's with shredded pork and caramelized onions and pickled jalapenos and aioli and cilantro...on a roll. Messy and cheap and good and, perhaps, The One True Sandwich To Rule Them All.

2009-5-22 Seattle 128
Cupcakes.

2009-5-22 Seattle 131
OK, four cupcakes.

2009-5-22 Seattle 148
The kid picked pink coconut, and who can blame her, it went with the ensemble.

2009-5-22 Seattle 167
A bowl of ballerinas, ballerina for a quarter.

2009-5-22 Seattle 189
Slick kelp on smooth beach rocks at Alki Beach.

2009-5-22 Seattle 193
The kid's first sight, smell, breath of salt water.

2009-5-22 Seattle 248
Wet barnacles in improbable shades of purple, green, orange, clinging to steps.

2009-5-22 Seattle 306
Dragons on the light poles(!), almost more than the kid's heart could bear. (Areyoukiddingher?)

2009-5-22 Seattle 338
Cherry suckers from the Asian market, eaten in a pink chair.

2009-5-22 Seattle 465
Jellyfish.

2009-5-22 Seattle 420
Oh, the jellyfish.
(In the aquarium that would not accept our cheap-ass Zoo Boise pass. Ya got me, Seattle!)

2009-5-22 Seattle 437
The unlikely, incredible (and very certainly sinister, don't tell the kid) nature of this thing. The eye!

2009-5-22 Seattle 479
Touching tube worms, and sea cucumber, and anenome, oh my!

2009-5-22 Seattle 516
A much-need weiner in a hotel lobby, on china, with fresh berries and a little china cup for the kid's tomaaahto dip. (She's fancy.)

There is something Albert Einstein said (and not the thing about Theoretical Physics, because I have a terminal case of Lack Of Understanding of Theoretical Physics), and it goes like this:

2009-5-22 Seattle 508
There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle.

2009-5-22 Seattle 496
I don't know if it's even a tiny bit true, but you can guess which way I'm leaning.

23 comments:

Mary said...

I'd be leaning with you!

There is something so wonderful about sharing a weekend with a daughter. Especially when you don't need to think about portacots or nappies or bottles or..

You know what I'm talking about!

ewe are here said...

What a fantastic trip you two had... I'm envious.

J. said...

I could have NEVER done that trip when my daughter was four. I am green with envy. GREAT photos, as always. (Particularly like the one of Ellie passed out on the rock. : )

Btw, you know that one day, when she is a teenager, or a tween, she will stop letting you take pictures of her, especially in compromising positions, yes? At least you have a male backup child. ; )

Kelly said...

Beautiful!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

There's something about this . . . this may be my favorite post of yours ever--and I really like you!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Me too.

Chris said...

What wonderful memories you made with your mother and daughter. Your gift of photography-stud-ette documents the experience beautifully.

The Gossamer Woman said...

What a super post. Such beautiful pictures of your little girl and such fun adventures. Your lucky you had such a lovely weekend with her. Mothers and daughters are special together. There's no doubt about it.

Sarah said...

I am so glad I just happened to pop in today! What an inspiring post! Thanks! OK, is this enough exclamation points?!

Nora said...

I love that quote.

But that octopus, dude. Creepo.

Magpie said...

One lovely picture after another. I especially like the pink cupcake with pink shirt.

Stu said...

It looks like you had a wonderful miracle.

-Stu

Sharon said...

Oh, so evocative and beautiful, gave me goosebumps of nostalgia for trips with my 4 year old (now 17) in which everything was one wonder after another.

knitalot3 said...

Thanks for sharing the miracles, all of them.

I'm Megan... said...

love, love, LOVE your pictures! ellie in the aquarium glow is amazing!

togetherforgood said...

Love this, LOVE that quote-- what a fabulous quote. Seriously. And your pictures are amazing. :)

skatey katie said...

flippin' heck girl - your words speak right to my heart.
love your wee holiday.
love X

kcinnova said...

The Seattle Aquarium is, most absolutely, the Bee's Knees. Even when you have to pay for it.
You make me wish we had time for such fun & frolics when we are back there this summer.

lapoflux said...

Inspirational words. Beautiful photos!

i am very mary said...

It was so hard to drag me away from the anemone pool at the aquarium there! And the octopus? I coulda watched that fella all day long.

Monica said...

I was in Yakima that weekend! Love the giraffe, did he really get that close to the camera? Awesome.

Allison said...

exquisite photos, feelings - thank you for sharing!

Kelly said...

Wow! Cherry Sucker in a Pink Chair...amazing photo...pure joy. So delightful. It just revived my heat stroked heart!

Thank heaven and Mrs. G for the Women's Colony that led me here to your delicious blog. Really amazing!