Tuesday, September 22, 2009

That Is What I'd Truly Like To Be

So, last we spoke, we were fresh off a star-spangled Fourth, replete with sparklers and fresh cherries and impossibly green summer lawns. And now it is officially autumn(!), and I have shamefully not updated this blog in weeks, and I'm trying to figure out a) where the time went and b) why I'm such an epic wiener, though not as epic as this wiener:

nice grill
look what rolled into the neighborhood grocery store...
In a magical fruition of a childhood (OK, adulthood) dream, the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile made a surprise appearance at our local grocery store yesterday and let me tell you: it was everything I hoped for AND a coupon for two dollars off my next wiener purchase. Jimmy enjoyed the cute, solicitous WienerGirls who shook his hand and put stickers on his tiny shirt and Ellie enjoyed the fact that a GIANT MOTHER-LOVING HOT DOG was parked on the sidewalk.

lil' Wieners
checking out the ketchup & mustard carpet

Me, I liked the whistle.

coveted Wienermobile whistle
And then, as unceremoniously as it had appeared, the Wienermobile rolled out of town, taking the last day of lazy, mustard-colored summer with it, and I realized that I needed to come back here and share not only gratuitous wiener photos, but the best and brightest things that happened these past weeks.

First up tomorrow: our Great Recession Moderate-Victory garden and why Martha Stewart won't stop stealing my material. After that: KINDERGARTEN, so help me Lord.

23 comments:

ShackelMom said...

So nice to have you back! (I am a lurker who has missed your posts!)

Kelly said...

I've missed you so.

Rima said...

If it got you to start posting again, by God - I love the weinermobile, too!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The Weinermobile was so considerate to match your gorgeous new banner smashingly.

The Green Stone Woman said...

I'm your Facebook friend and I'm glad you posted again. It's been a long time. I've missed you. What a wonderful Wiener Mobil! I could really go for a hot dog right now.

planetnomad said...

I have nothing to say about the weinermobile but I would like to say that Spotted Dick is BACK on the menu! In spite of "childish" and "immature" remarks made by a nameless customer. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_east/8270460.stm

And welcome back!

a Tonggu Momma said...

One of my college friends actually earned a coveted internship and drove the Weinermobile for a summer. The outfits... oh, the outfits.

Welcome back!

togetherforgood said...

That is so not fair. I wanna see the weiner mobile. Seriously. For the children, of course. It's all for the children.

Magpie said...

What fun!

J. said...

This post is a wiener! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Umm... Just one question, Melanie: Where exactly does one blow on that whistle? ; )

frantically heidi said...

Oh my goodness! I saw the wienermobile cruising in DC and I stalked that meaty dog for blocks until it finally pulled over. It was the thrill of my life to see it up close and personal!

JessTrev said...

What, do I live under a rock? Wienermobile in DC, Heidi?! I must not be on Twitter.

Love, love the pics. It's like you styled your children just for the shot and YET they are just that adorable all the time, aren't they? Love the astonishment on your little girl's face.

Great to hear your voice!

Hay said...

Wow, hotdog shaped vehicles, Americans really DO have everything.

F*#@!n Martha.

PS Discovered your photo website the other day....blew. me. away.

iCarrie said...

Seriously, the weinermobile rocks. It stopped in front of my work a few years ago as someone was depositing a check and I ran back to get the crazy adults who would love the sight of it as much as me and we just stood there and gazed at its glory.
Oh, I've missed you. I squealed when I saw you on my reader this morning.

Sharon said...

So glad to see you back! My daughter turned 18 last week and I made her very favorite dinner which we call "The Beanpaste Lady's Chicken Pot Pie." (your recipe from many moons ago). Daughter claims that when she goes away to college, this will be the dish she is most homesick for. Just last week she was Ellie's age, it seems. Enjoy kindergarten, (so help you God), and thanks for giving us our all-time favorite comfort food recipe.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I second J.s' question! A wiener whistle?! Er...um...kid friendly? Hmmm...

So nice to have you back where you belong. :-)

dkuroiwa said...

Well...color my butt jealous...how fun was that!?:-D
Ellie is as cute as ever, but Jimmy? holy moly has he grown or what?!?!
You got yourself some might cutie-patootie kids there, missy!

Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said...

I forgot about the whistle! I want one!!!!

XO

Renovation Therapy said...

Weiner Whistle? My envy knows no bounds.

-Jean

PS You've been missed.

I Am Very Mary said...

It's nice to see you're enjoying all-beef franks.

KimMomofEight said...

So nice to see you again...I've missed you. And I think I could easily leave my career to be the driver of the weinermobile ~ oh the joy I would bring to so many lives :)

Stu said...

The Wienermobile is something to behold in all of it's glory.

Welcome back.

-Stu

kelly said...

I've caught glimpses of the weinermobile on the road every now and then.

Did you know that Hershey has a Hershey Kiss mobile? Either that or someone made one elaborate parade float. I almost drove off the road when I passed that one.

Glad to have you back. I can't wait to hear about kindergarten.